Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Progression


Once I was bitten by the watercolor bug, I stumbled upon an AWESOME website for artists called http://www.wetcanvas.com/. It is full of demos and articles from talented artists offering their help and encouragement for FREE. Anyone can post their painting (or sculpture or drawings...) and have it critiqued by some of the best artists all over the world. Even my first feeble effort received encouragement from a fantastic watermedia artist, Nicholas Simmons, who has skyrocketed to international attention. He WON the National Watercolor Society show last year with his fantastic piece "Fresh Sushi." http://www.nicholassimmons.com/.

Years ago, Nick had generously posted an article about painting Koi fish using "Fluid Acrylics." While I didn't have those, I learned much from his article as well as other advice he posted with techniques about painting large and textures. So I gave it a try with regular watercolor. We're so blessed in this day that the internet opens doors to get to know people all across the world. I called this painting "Koi-nonia" which means Christian fellowship. Last June, Artists' Showplace hosted Nick to do a workshop in Dallas. It was a privilege to meet him and learn more from such a talented artist.


Another favorite artist of mine is Ted Nuttall. I love his colorful, "sloppy dots" portraits full of vibrant colors. http://www.tednuttall.com/ Artisan's Studio offered a workshop with Ted and I painted this of my beautiful Grandma Birdie who is now 102 years old.














Trying my hand at a more contemporary painting, I painted  Dusty and Kylie. I call it "The Pacifier." Pacifier means: someone who brings peace.


















Another highlight was the rare opportunity to attend a workshop by, arguably, one of the greatest watercolorist of our time, Soon Y. Warren. This modest little woman uses Corelle dinner plates as a palette and "whatever paint that is on sale" to produce the most amazing florals and crystal I've ever seen. Check out http://www.soonwarren.com/. I could stare at her paintings for hours and am in awe of the caretaking details God provided in nature for our enjoyment. Here are two that I did after her workshop. The red peony was a wedding present to Maggi and Tony.
 
So, after a long hiatus, I've decided it's time to pick up the brushes again. I am amazed by God's unique design and beauty of flowers. I call this painting "Folded." The grass withers and the flower fades, but the Word of God endures forever." Isaiah 40:7

Thanks for reading the blog. Next time you see a flower, consider taking a deeper look of the care God takes for something that is here today and gone tomorrow. How much more does He care for us?

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well! Psalm 139:14

2 comments:

  1. You are an amazing watercolor artist. Your florals are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nancy. I've been enjoying your beautiful florals today on your blog!

    ReplyDelete