Sunday, August 29, 2010

FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS - PAGEANT OF THE MASTERS

The Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach is one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen!  We attended the special Gala tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The Pageant is part of the Festival of the Arts.  Live people in costume are placed in scenes within illusionally engineered backdrops from master paintings.  Then, the lighting is altered and, before your eyes, the people look "flattened" and part of a gigantic painting.

To quote the pageant website, "What is it? Ninety minutes of "living pictures" - incredibly faithful art re-creations of classical and contemporary works with real people posing to look exactly like their counterparts in the original pieces. An outdoor amphitheater, professional orchestra, original score, live narration, intricate sets, sophisticated lighting, expert staff, and hundreds of dedicated volunteers have won recognition for the Pageant as the best presentation of its kind."


Cameras were not allowed in the pageant, but we were allowed to take photos of the gala in the festival area. The Festival of the Arts exhibitors were truly a cut above. Their work was displayed in beautiful indoor/outdoor galleries that encircled the festival grounds. Included in this select group was Geri Medway, the watercolor artist that I watched demo last week in San Clemente.  Her pieces were even more remarkable in person.  I'm excited to begin a five-week series of lessons with her in September.


A note to the wise who may attend this in the future...take a coat.  This is an OUTDOOR amphitheather.  That would have been good to know.  I had to stop and buy a fah-bu-luz hoodie to wear over my dress so I could survive the chilly ocean-side Laguna evening!! It kind of spoiled my attempts to play dress-up!
Bring a coat, but DO plan to attend this sometime in the future.  It's unique and amazing!

EDIT:  I just found another blogger who posted professional photos of  behind the scenes and pageant.  Check it out to see more fully what the pageant looks like.  INCREDIBLE!  http://katenoelleblog.com/?s=cross+training&x=40&y=13

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you got to experience this event Cheryl. Isn't it cool? I'm not sure that there is anything like it anywhere else.
    I should have mentioned that it was an outdoor event but I didn't think about it. Usually in August the evening weather is pretty nice. I went on Wednesday and it was perfect. Of course, the high that day in Laguna was 90 degrees, not 75. I think your hoodie makes a fabulous fashion statement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU, Nancy, for encouraging me to go. I can't believe we got such reasonable tickets to the gala night. It was really fun. It is impossible to describe how amazingly they replicate the paintings, isn't it? I got to see Geri again and, on the spot, my husband signed me up for her class series.

    As we were leaving, my husband and I jumped in front of the press wall to take a photo as the guys were actually taking it down. They held it up by hand so we could get a picture. I told my fb friends, "Where was our paparazzi? Real Housewife With Seven Kids...now that's got drama!" LOL! Guess Kate Plus Eight has outshined us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to see this sometime, any excuse to hang around laguna. I saw your post about that art store in San Clemente, think I might be doing a workshop there. Are you guys living in CA now?

    ReplyDelete