Friday, November 12, 2010

Kyliefornia Watercolor Awards

My granddaughter, Kylie, had the day off school yesterday, so my daughter and I took her to visit the spectacular Watercolor West Exhibition in Brea.  It is a beautiful gallery, and I thought the show was outstanding!!  I particularly enjoyed how they grouped the paintings together.  All the florals were together, all the portraits/figurative works, all the glassware, urban scenes, water scenes, etc.  It gave the viewer an opportunity to enjoy the various subjects side-by-side.  Kylie and I would look at the panels of florals, for example, and she would pick out her favorite.  Then, we would talk about why she liked that painting best.  It gave this Uma's heart joy to see her eyes light up about a particular painting and give concrete reasons that it appealed to her.  I was also thrilled to see how her little, five-year-old self often picked those that were picked by the exhibition's juror!  So, here are the choices and juror comments of the Kyliefornia Watercolor Awards...named after it's juror, Kylie Devoto.  Kylie has been studying art with an emphasis on markers and crayons at her preschool for 3 years and Kindergarten for 2 months.  Her personal works can be viewed on Uma's refrigerator by appointment.
BEST OF SHOW
"Crab Cooker" by Francesca Brayton
BEST BOAT SCENE
"The Barnacle Boat"  by Dan Burt


BEST ANIMAL
"Kohala Honu" by Marilyn Wear
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwear240/marilynsstudio2.html 














BEST URBAN SCENE
"Chinatown Restaurant" by John Salminen

BEST FLORAL
"Double Delight" by Katherine Barrows




My daughter's selection for BEST OF SHOW
"Dancer's Glow" by Maureen Wheeler


BEST ABSTRACT
"Butterfly Delight" by Clonard Thomas


BEST LANDSCAPE
"Mosquito Wash"  by Mike Padian

BEST SEASCAPE
"Wave Action" by John Hewitt






HAPPIEST SCENE
"Gompha 2" by Ratindra Das
www.ratindradas.net 




BEST PORTRAIT
"At Rest" by Bev Jozwiak
www.bevjozwiak.com

 


UMA'S FAVORITE
"Valentine Roses" by Kathleen Ballard
http://www.kbwatercolor.com/
I asked Kylie to guess what painting I would want out of the whole show.
She raced around the panel and said, "This one, Uma!"
And she was exactly right!






6 comments:

  1. What a delightful way of showing some of the paintings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAH!!! I was just here earlier! Now I know who you are [sorry, that sounds dumb] This time I want to thank you for visiting my blog [painting 2:00 AM]

    ReplyDelete
  3. art critic in the making ! cheryl this is such a wonderful post !!! ..lucky kylie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn, Thank you for posting. It was great to click over and see your great blog and art!We're the 2 am painter buddies.

    Thank you, Rita. Miss you guys!

    Jane, I think Uma's the lucky one. I was so proud of how Kylie would think through what she liked. Not much text would fit on those little comment bubbles - she said a lot more about each piece. It was a fun day. My daughter now asked me to teach her how to paint, so that's an exciting result, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoa this is so cool devotedmomof7 plz reply who is that adorably cute little girl!!!

    ReplyDelete